Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Why Take Chances?

When I was a young scout, my troop went for a day hike that lasted for two.  It was no emergency, we were prepared as any good scout should... we were just lost.  An old map combined with our inexperience, was all it took to double the length of our stay.  Our handbooks had taught us what to pack, which turned out to be essential, but we forgot one crucial step.  Tell somebody.
A good friend or loved one ALWAYS has a map of my intended route with a rough timeline.  I also tell them that if they have not heard from me by a certain date and time, then I need them to take action.  The type of trip will dictate the action I ask them to take.  If I'm fishing at a local park I may ask them to drop by to make sure I haven't drown.  If I'm taking a month long hike down the Appalachian Trail, then I may ask them to contact authorities in the event I'm unreachable.  No one has ever had to take action for me, but I still make sure that safety net is in place.  
If I plan for a day hike, I pack for at least two days.  I keep in mind temperature changes from day to night.  I don't plan on being out after dark, but I'm still ready for it.  Depending on my destination, my pack might include;
  1. At least two pairs of socks ("take care of your feet and they will take care of you")
  2. One complete change of clothes
  3. Two full 2 quart canteens
  4. First Aid kit
  5. Space blanket
  6. Several protein bars (or Snickers depending on my mood)
  7. Current maps (GPS doesn't always work / batteries die)
  8. Charged cell phone turned off (for emergencies only)
  9. Water purification tablets or water filter
  10. Lighter and matches in a waterproof bag
  11. Camera (not everything has to be for emergencies)
  12. Notebook and pencil
  13. Pocket knife
  14. Two meals
  15. Flashlight
I pack things as tightly as possible, buy dehydrated meals, and keep things as light as possible.  Typically, I can keep it all contained in a sturdy school backpack.  One important item I forgot to mention is to be sure to include plenty of any medications you might be taking and any treatments you may require for allergic reactions.
The outdoors can be an amazing place even to get lost, but being caught off-guard can make it a miserable experience.  Why take chances?  If you get lost, let it be a time you remember unexpectedly communing with nature.... not a time you recall being caught with your pants down and battling the elements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment